Zac Duffy is a trial lawyer who focuses his practice on intellectual property and employment law. He has represented clients in litigation involving patents, trademarks, trade secrets, covenants not to compete, and employment disputes.
Super Lawyers has consistently named Zac a Texas Rising Star. Fewer than 2.5 percent of attorneys in Texas have received the Texas Rising Star designation.
Membership and Bar Admissions
Zac has been admitted to practice before the United States District Court for the Eastern, Northern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas as well as the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
Zac graduated from the University of Oklahoma in 2001 with a Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) in Management Information Systems. He obtained his Juris Doctor degree, cum laude, from the South Texas College of Law in 2007 where he was Order of the Lytae and Editor in Chief of Currents International Trade Law Journal.
- Nu-You Technologies Inc. v. Bee Sales et al. (N.D. Tex.). Represented company that created new hair styling product in litigation to enforce patent.
- Trover Group, Inc. and The Security Center, Inc. v. Tyco Integrated Security, et al., Case No. 2:15-cv-151 (E.D. Tex.). Case involving the enforcement of patents related to digital video security systems.
- Rotatable Technologies LLC v. Lennox Industries, Inc., Case No. 3:14-cv-1162-M (Northern District of Texas). Represented Lennox Industries in defense of patent infringement lawsuit filed by a non-practicing entity.
- Zac has handled numerous trademark filings before the United States Trademark Office.
- Adeniregun v. Pizza Inn (N.D. Tex.). Represented franchisee sued by franchisor for unpaid royalties, trademark infringement, and related violations of the Lanham Act.
- Agavera Camichines, S.A. de C.V. v. Auryn Industries, LLC (USPTO). Represented beverage company in trademark opposition before the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- United States Fallen Heroes Foundation v. American Fallen Warriors Memorial Foundation, et al (N.D. Tex.). Counsel for non-profit sued for trademark infringement, dilution, domain name cybersquatting, and other claims.
Trade Secrets and Employment Disputes
- Hose Tech, LLC v. Lesswing et al (Tex. Dist. Ct.). Defended against allegations of breach of covenant not to compete and misappropriation of trade secrets.
- Lara v. PCM Construction Services (N.D. Tex.). Counsel for employer in a class action by former employees who alleged that the company failed to pay overtime and minimum wages as required by the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Presentations and Publications
Employment in the Energy Sector, Key Terms in Employment Agreements and Workplace Policies, A Presentation to the Energy Law Section of the Dallas Bar Association, Wednesday, September 18, 2015.
Fifth Circuit Overrules NLRB on Collective Action Waivers, January 2014 Headnotes: Labor & Employment Law, Dallas Bar Association.
Mortgage Fraud and the Deliberate Ignorance Jury Instruction: The Risk of Criminal Liability for Real Estate Professionals Involved in Civil Litigation, Business Law Brief Nbr. V-1, October 2008.